|kids with flags of Australia|
|Cute Koala bear|
|Kids with Australia flags|
|Kangaroo mother and son|
|Happy Australia Day Koala|
|Emu, Koala bear and Kangaroo|
Here are more than just a few facts about Australia that may interest you
- For more than 40,000 years prior to the arrival of British deportees, Australia was populated by Indigenous Australians (aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders).
- Melbourne, the capital of the Australian state of Victoria, was first named Batmania.
· Australia had no economic recession since 1981.
· Australia's human development index ranks 2nd in the world.
· Australia's maritime borders contain 8,222 islands that are smaller than the mainland.
· Australia has more than 10,000 beaches. It would take you over 27 years to spend a day on each beach.
· Sharks patrol the vicinity of every beach in Australia. Altogether there are 166 species of sharks in Australian seas, but only three of them are a significant threat to humans. To reduce the danger, part of the popular beaches in Queensland and New South Wales are protected by shark nets. However, there is much criticism against these nets, claiming they are not effective barriers (though statistics clearly show a significant reduction in human fatalities due to these nets), and further more they kill all kinds of large fish that are caught in them, not only the dangerous sharks.